Monday, December 04, 2006

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow

It’s Monday. I’m at work, and the business of the world goes on. Hugo Chavez won easy reelection in Venezuela. It looks as though Augusto Pinochet will escape justice for his crimes in Chile. John Bolton has resigned as the US Ambassador to the UN. And in an interview with the BBC Kofi Anan spoke candidly about the tumultuous times in which he served (you can watch the interview by clicking on the link).

I have been thinking about all of these things, but I am also looking at the snow gently falling outside. In the spirit of optimism, I decorated my apartment in hopes that it would give me holiday cheer. Of course, it was sixty degrees and muggy when I did this, but now that there’s a little dusting of snow on the trees and the fields, I am feeling a bit more in the spirit of things. I am looking forward to the return of the light.


Santa on Velvet

Move over, Elvis.
This is Santa on Velvet.
I bought this to give at a tacky gift party,
but I fell in love with it and kept it

Lights
The lights in the window


tree and shelf of tacky
My little wire tree,
all decorated

What I really should be thinking about is getting back to work, but thinking about snow is much more fun.

7 comments:

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

you know, I'm not big fan of snow. But this morning it was nice to look out the window of the 8th floor were I work and see it coming down. I've always found the first snow of the season a bit cheerful for some reason. I like your festive looking apartment. Nice touch!!

Scout said...

It is nice that it's finally starting to feel like winter. I love the lights in the window--shouldn't they be framing the velvet Santa?

Steven said...

I was never one for thinking of snow.

In fact, it's why I moved from Illionis to california.

Snow doesn't exist here, and I'm not sad about that. ;)

Steve~

Old Knudsen said...

I'm like people who claim to love rain, snow is nice as long as you aren't out in it. Hugo is a great source of post inspiration, yay!

Sassy Sundry said...

Rich, I'm not such a fan of snow in April, but in December, it's lovely.

Robyn, I'm glad you like the decorations. Perhaps Santa should be framed---but then he couldn't hang from my rafters.

Steven, live and let live is what I say. At least you didn't hang around a snowy area only to bitch every winter.

Knudsen, if you love rain, love it well. Good news about Hugo, isn't it? I'm really pissed that Pinochet will escape trial, but the other good news in Central and South America is offsetting it.

Sassy Sundry said...

Here's a good blog from the Nation's web site about Pinochet: http://www.thenation.com/blogs/notion?bid=15&pid=145188

Sassy Sundry said...

I was going to write something very similar but decided to just leave it.