Friday, March 09, 2007

The Sassy Sundries: My Week in Review

Is it really Friday again? Holy crap. Well I guess that means it’s time for the Sassy Sundries, an idea I’ve ripped off from Boston’s Weekly Dig. Here I assign numerical values to things political, personal, and nonsensical from the past week. Enjoy!

Once again, Dick Cheney is not having a great time of it. First his aide, Scooter Libby, gets convicted of four of the five counts against him. From the court proceedings, it’s obvious that Cheney was involved in the leak. Then the guy gets just one more reminder that he’s a walking corpse. As a human being, I wish him no harm, but wouldn’t it be nice if Satan stepped down? Plus Three

Scooter Libby might have gotten convicted, but Rove and Cheney escape unscathed. Minus Two

In local politics, our new Governor is making misstep after misstep; the latest one has generated an ethics complaint. Still, he handled the immigration situation nicely. Minus Two

I was still a bit confused by McIntriguing this week, but things really are great now. Goofy grin has returned. Sorry. Plus Ten

Hedged bets in the romantic department after confusing McIntriguing activity and replied to an e-mail from another interesting fellow. Am now feeling a bit conflicted about it, but am pleased with myself for treating dating as dating until it becomes something else. Plus Two

Redid iPod this week. I haven’t listened to the Jesus and Mary Chain in ages. Also obtained the latest Arcade Fire release on iTunes. Am moving up in technology world. Plus One

Evidence comes out that the FBI is taking major league advantage of the Patriot Act. Shock, Shock. Minus Two

General Petraeus, the general in charge of the Iraq “surge,” says that there isn’t a military solution to the war. The general is a rocket scientist. Bush doesn’t listen to scientists. Minus Two

U2’s Joshua Tree album came out twenty years ago today. I remember the day clearly—Smokestack and I sat around discussing the merits of the band's new approach, and she was swinging her head and torso around in time to “With or Without You.” We were in the eighth grade. I feel older than dirt. Even

Total Plus: 16
Total Minus: 8
TOTAL FOR THE WEEK: Plus 8
LAST WEEK’S TOTAL: Plus 35

4 comments:

Andraste said...

Funny. I was just listening to the Jesus and Mary Chain this week. Saw them at the Channel waaaaay back in the late 80's. I think it was the Channel, anyway. Come to think of it, it could have been one of any number of popular bands at the time. Black jeans, flannel shirts, spikey hair, lots of feedback...The Ramones meet The Archies.

No, now that I think about it I may have hallucinated seeing them entirely.

But I'll run with it. I am old and I drink. Plus, it's not a lie if you believe it.

...more wine, I think.

Scout said...

OK, if you feel older than dirt because you were in 8th grade 20 years ago, I feel...um... never mind.

Silly grinning is a great way to spend the day. Good for you.

dive said...

Hey there Sassy, you obscenely young child; when you've been around for as many geological eras as me you'll take comfort from the fact that history is just itching to stick a big, splintery pole right up the asses of Rove and Cheney.
Keep grinning, girl. It's good to see.

Sassy Sundry said...

I was on a huge Jesus and Mary Chain kick in high school. I wound up seeing them sometime in the mid-nineties (long after their prime). Enjoy your drink!

Hey Robyn, I'm sorry. Feeling old is a state of mind. At that point, I felt old. It doesn't make you old.

Dive, may it be so.

Knudsen, good to hear from you. Your blog's been "surf controlled," I'm afraid. Can't see it anymore. I'll check it at home.