Thursday, March 22, 2007

Hypocrites Much? Thoughts on the US Attorneys Scandal

Republicans. I can’t believe them. After getting caught firing eight US attorneys for exclusively political reasons so that they could use the misguided USA Patriot Act to replace the attorneys with ones more amenable to the Bush & Co. line, the Administration is acting like the Democrats are playing nothing but politics. Bush refuses to allow his people to testify under oath, charging that to do anything else would be a partisan “fishing expedition.”

I’m sorry, but what the hell? This is coming from the head of a party that impeached a president over a BLOW JOB. The sex life of the president had no bearing on his ability to effectively govern (and if you disagree with that statement, you’d best reevaluate your judgment of most US presidents), and yet the country was bogged down by Republican viciousness for years. But asking the White House to testify under oath about something that has a significant impact on the running of the country is pandering to politics?

I don’t think that the firing of these attorneys is the worst thing Gonzales has done. That said, he still needs to answer for it. Rove needs to address his role as well. And once that’s done, Congress needs to repeal the Patriot Act.

George W. Bush needs to shut up about partisanship already. He’s the worst offender of them all.

5 comments:

dive said...

That's my girl!

Scout said...

I am amazed at how big this story has become, but now that congress has called for subpoenas, we'll see how much bigger it gets. I am so tired of the administration's insistence in "drawing a line in the sand" when they want to prove a point.

Sassy Sundry said...

I thought you'd appreciate my little rant, Dive.

Robyn, I know. It seems a bit like nailing Al Capone for tax evasion, but given the whole Clinton thing, I really can't tolerate the whole "pandering to politics" crap.

Anonymous said...

Ok, here goes. In the past, I have purposely avoided discussing politics with you because I know that we disagree. However, I just can't let the Clinton thing go. If I remember correctly (and I'll admit that I may not, I believe I was in elementary school at the time and my parents attempted to keep me from seeing the x-rated news) he was impeached for lying under oath, not for getting a blowjob. Of course other presidents have cheated on their wives. However, this one was 1) stupid enough to get caught and 2) as the president, could he really not find a chick that would swallow, thus eliminating evidence?!?!

Sassy Sundry said...

Ali, my point is that it was absolutely stupid for Clinton to be called to Congress to testify under oath about a blow job from a consenting adult.

If this is something that a president has to answer for, then the president's cabinet can be held to account (i.e. testify under oath) for doing things that actually have an impact on the country.