Monday, March 12, 2007

Daylight Savings Time Disaster

Daylight Savings time came early this year. Supposedly it’s going to save us all this energy, but I highly doubt it. Instead it just engendered a mild case of Y2K fever (oh no! Our computer clocks won’t work! The world might end!), and like Y2K, it pretty much came to nothing. Do you ever feel slightly disappointed when a disaster doesn’t strike? I mean, it’s not like I want horrible things to happen, but sometimes I feel a twinge of regret that I wasn’t able to see how I’d behave in a crisis.

Actually, I take that back. I know how I behave in a crisis. Stupidly. A few years ago while on my way to a cookout in a nice residential neighborhood, I came upon a most unfamiliar sight. There were several police cars blocking off the cross street, and there were officers surrounding the house. The cops were doing their little cop-crouch, like you see in the movies, and they had their guns out. What was I doing? I was idling my car, taking everything in. One of the crouching cops gave me a look as if to say, Go on! Get out of here! Then it hit me. OH! Wait! You have your GUNS out! This is a bad situation. I need to leave now. I’m on it. I backed my car out and went along my merry, stupid way.

So I take it back. I’m glad we didn’t have a crisis. I’d have more to worry about than my chronic tardiness getting into eyebrow-raising territory.

15 comments:

Carissa B said...

I think the freaking out about daylight savings is a bit much although it was kind of dissapointing when nohing happened for Y2K

Anonymous said...

I am happy to have the extra hour on the tail end of my day. I can get a bit more accomplished after I get out of work before it gets dark. Or at least that is what I am telling myself.

Before Girl said...

Nothing spazzed out except people for both Y2K and mini-Y2K. We acted like a bunch of cops in Boston looking at a box-shaped man giving the finger. Oops.

And it's not going to save us any energy. Scientists who study circadian rhythms said that if it's day light out, people think it's earlier than it is, so they think, "Hey, why am I at home so early?" and they get in their cars and go out, using gas, going to places that are brightly lit, heated, etc.

I would behave stupidly as well. Me, walking blithely down a thoroughfare toward the entrance of Emerson College, on my way to an open house. Never mind the cops in that crouched down position, guns drawn, yelling at a guy to "GET DOWN, GET DOWN!" before lunging at him and throwing him to the ground in the pouring rain and arresting him on suspicion of drug trafficking.

We're going to get ourselves killed, stupidly, Sassy.

Sassy Sundry said...

Carissa, I know. I was disappointed.

Prudence, I think it's a crock of pooey, but I hope it works out for you.

BG, no kidding. We're toast, and it won't take any kind of Y2K to make it happen.

Sam, Problem-Child-Bride said...

It always freaks me out to see cops with guns. Crouching cops with guns is much worse, I'd imagine.

I'm loving the darker mornings. My kids were getting up earlier and earlier with the dawn and today they slept 'til 7! Oh blessed hour! Oh hour that is not 5 freakin' 30am!

Scout said...

I didn't even flinch this year--the spring time change usually knocks me out for a couple of days.

I once watched a truck-load of big giant bullet-vested fed with huge guns storm a house full of Guatamalam immigrants right across the street from my kids' high school. It never occured to me to leave. Fortunately, there were no shots fired because with all of those guns, there were bound to be stray bullets.

dive said...

I like it.
It means that this year, for two whole weeks, I am a whole hour closer to America.
Not close enough to throw stuff though, which is a shame.

Sassy Sundry said...

Welcome, Sam! I'm glad that this has been good for someone. I'm just getting up VERY late.

Robyn, that is one scary, scary story. Yikes! Isn't it strange that with all the movies we've seen that we don't react better. I used to think that I learned kung-fu from Bruce Lee movies, but I haven't. Bummer.

Dive, that's sweet. I'm glad that we're just a little bit closer. I'm also glad you can't throw stuff at me. It would hurt.

Before Girl said...

Dive, what would you throw? That comment made me laugh out loud.

dive said...

For a start I'll need to heave a whole barn full of bullshit back at the White House …

Sassy Sundry said...

Just don't hit me with it.

dive said...

Hee hee.
So enough of this admittedly diverting stuff; bring your slavering hordes up to date with the Mc.I situation, young Sassy.

Sassy Sundry said...

I'm a little bit wary about continuing to blog about it. I don't want to jinx things, and if things do work out, then how on Earth do I tell him that I spend significant chunks of time writing about him?

Things are great. I dig him. He seems to dig me. Am happy.

dive said...

That's all I need to know.
Stay happy, Sassy.

Anonymous said...

Sassy just so you know your skepticism held true. I went home with an hour more of daylight and didn't do a fuckn thing! Guess I will just have to live with myself.