Welcome Back to Travels with Fluff!New to Travels with Fluff? Check out the previous posts.
London and the Opal Coast of France (for one day, to get some wine
Dispatch from the What the Fluff? Festival in Union Square, Somerville
New York City
Fluffy in Memphis
Don’t forget to take the Fluff Quiz at the bottom of this post. Answers to the previous Fluff Quiz posted too!
This past spring, Fluff and I got to go see my sister and brother-in-law while they were working at an art program in Orvieto, Italy. This was the best vacation I’ve ever had. Mostly I just hung out in Orvieto, a beautiful hill town in Umbria, but I also went to Rome and Florence for day trips.
Alas, there are no Fluff pictures from Rome, as I went there alone and everyone warned me not to take what I didn’t want to lose while sightseeing there. A Fluffnapping would have broken my heart. There are, however, some good Fluff shots of Florence. Enjoy!
View from my sister’s window
Fluff’s digs at sister’s
Piazza della Republica, Orvieto
Torre del Moro, Orvieto
View from the top of the Torre del Moro
Eagle from the Roman Gate, Orvieto
Piazza del Duomo, Orvieto
Fluff and a blue Ape
Fluff and an electric rickshaw
Fluff and Italian boxed wine
Road sign near sister's place (I took the train)
Fluff and David
View of the Campanile (bell tower)
from the top of Brunelleschi's Dome
Climbed a lot of steps to get here
Another view from the top of Brunelleschi's Dome
View of Florence from San Miniato
Top photo: Fluff and the Duomo in Orvieto. Someone from Flickr said it was brilliant.
Fluff Quiz the Fourth!
Put your books away, it’s time for the Fluff Quiz. Remember, if you cheat, you only cheat yourself. It’s better to know something about Italy than it is to know something about Fluff. E-mail me the answers if you would like, but you can also post them in the comments. As I will be gone for a few days, e-mails will be answered when I return. Answers to this quiz will be posted in the dispatch from Washington, DC. May the Fluff force be with you.
1. In one of the above photos, Fluff is pictured with an Ape (pronounced ah-pay). What does Ape mean, and why is the name clever?
2. The David in the photograph is a replica. Where is the original?
3. To what did the title of E.M. Forester’s A Room with a View refer?
4. My sister and I stopped in a caffé in Florence in the afternoon. A man walked in (not American) and ordered a cappuccino. The bartender wouldn’t give it to him. Why?
5. Italian boxed wine. Discuss.
Answers to Fluff Quiz the Third!
Robyn wins this round, but Dive did admirably well. His poetic answers gladdened my heart.
1. What is the shelf life of Fluff?
Fluff is eternal, in that it does not go bad.
2. Dusty Springfield is best known for “Son of a Preacher Man,” recorded with the Memphis Sound. The song, however, was originally written for someone else. Who turned “Preacher Man” down? Huge-ass hint: She later recorded it.
3. Name two people who recorded at Sun Studio. I don’t want anyone telling me that my quizzes are too hard.
Elvis, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis…
4. Fluffy fell in love with Aqua Net in Memphis and has been heartbroken ever since. Have you ever felt this way? Discuss.
My recent sadness is well known to some of you, but I thought that I would share my first experience of ill-timed love (well, not love, but some serious crushing going on). When I was eleven, my parents took us to an amusement park in northern New Hampshire. While there, I met a boy my age, and he and I spent the entire day not looking at each other everywhere we went—that is, until near the end of the day when we both wound up in line for the bumper cars. He bashed my car, I bashed his car, we both got whiplash. It was puppy love. Afterwards we exchanged a few awkward words, and he gave me the bent-nail ring he got at one of the attractions at the park. We both blushed like crazy when it was time to leave, but since both of our parents were standing there, we only said goodbye. I spent the rest of the summer dreaming about him, and I never knew where he was from. I never saw him again.
Coming soon! Fluff goes to Washington!