Friday, February 02, 2007

My Week in Review

Boston's Weekly Dig has a column called the Bean Counter where they assign numerical values to the week's events. I thought I would do my own. Behold, the Sassy Sundries.

I joined another online dating site and got six guys trying to instant message me at once.
Plus Two

None of them were really my type.
Minus One

City of Boston brought to its knees by Lite Brite. I can’t stop laughing.
Plus One

Everyone keeps calling it a “terrorist hoax,” even though it was just a marketing campaign and wasn’t meant to scare anyone.
Minus One

The guys employed by Turner Network to hang the “bombs” monkey around with the press and talk about hairstyles. Plus Three

Molly Ivins, one of the sharpest, sassiest, and insightful columnists in the country dies.
Minus Four

Dive’s reaction to finding out that I was a cheerleader. Plus Five

Scientists from around the world state unequivocally that global warming is real and that the burning of fossil fuels is the culprit.
Plus Five

Bush won’t do anything about it except talk about nuke-u-lar power.
Minus Four

The Administration wants to go to war with Iran. I had been hoping that Seymour Hersh’s New Yorker article was wrong, even though I knew better.
Minus Five

We haven’t had real snow yet, and it’s freaking me out. Minus Two

Plus Total: 16
Minus Total: 17

Total for the Week: Minus 1


If my math's wrong, tough. The Dig messes it up too.

15 comments:

Scout said...

What a great approach to sorting out all that stuff. You have included all of the key events/subjects.I heard an old Fresh Air interview with Molly Ivans yesterday. She was quite a woman--I loved her immediately.

Was it really Lite Brite they used?

Anonymous said...

Geeze Sassy I was beginning to wonder where you were hiding. Glad to see you back in Blogsville. My week is a +999!

Sassy Sundry said...

Sometimes this commenter thing makes me mad.

Robyn, I stole the idea, but I like it too. Molly Ivins was an amazing woman. I loved her column. She is missed.

Prudence, Dear, I'm back. I just needed a break. I'm glad you have had an outstanding week.

dive said...

Nice to help you score along with my wail of anguish. I'm scarred for life.

I just got home and there was some twat (I was too late to catch the subtitles, but you probably saw the same clip) saying:
"As the President has said, and this report confirms, mankind is responsible for global warming …"
I choked for a full five minutes and would have trashed my TV excepth that it's s stupidly expensive one.

Let's hear that again:
"AS THE PRESIDENT HAS SAID, AND THIS REPORT CONFIRMS …"

Does anybody on the entire planet know of a more jaw-to-the-floor blatant piece of ludicrous bullshit lying in the history of politics?
Thought not …

dive said...

"Help you score"?
I meant "Help YOUR score"

Doctor Freud has returned and is giggling at me, dammit!

Sassy Sundry said...

Knudsen, it killed me. I mean, the things were there for three weeks before anyone noticed them.

Dive, your assistance is appreciated. Heh. W and all those talk-show host doubters might have to admit that it's happening and it's mostly the fault of the US. Maybe it will be the end of business commentators "debating" scientists on the issue. We shall see.

james said...

Great post Sas. You are one on the ball gal! Didn't know you were a Molly Ivins fan, but I should have known. :) She was a much needed voice during this "don't question us behind our closed doors" administration.

And global warming . . . here's to running my car on Biodiesel and installing my next compact fluorescent...

dive said...

Good thing, James. Well done.

The US has 5% of the world's population, yet produces 50% of the world's carbon dioxide.

95% of the world's population are getting pretty pissed off with this.

james said...

cheers Dive!

*raises virtual pint of Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale*

I was just watching PBS News Hour with Jim Leher. Had a clip of some dude from the Bush Admin saying the US has spent more on the scientific contribution to global warming than any other nation. These guys are so full of horseshit.

Taihae said...

I love that show on adult swim...I had no idea about it being a gosh darn terrorism scare. Some people need to chill the hell out.

Sassy Sundry said...

James, thanks. Molly Ivins was great, wasn't she? Her column was a lifeline in the (formerly) red state of New Hampshire. Good for you with the biodiesel. I need to get on board with that plan. In the meantime, my car is a compact one.

Taihae, nice to hear from you! I know. I really can't believe the thing. Yesterday's front page of the Globe had a priceless photo of the guys Turner hired to post the Lite Brites.

Taihae said...

I may not always be speaking, dear, but I'm always reading.

Carissa B said...

Great post, Sassy. You'll be proud to know we replaced most of the lightbulbs in our house with compact florescents this week. I'd install a solar panel, too, but we don't have anywhere to put it. Now I just have to teach my hermit crab to run in an exercise wheel and maybe he can power my microwave.

ColleenQ said...

Bush can't run for office again: +10

AND, it's the weekend: +2

Guess you needed some old-school math. ;)

Sassy Sundry said...

Oh good, Taihae. I hope the course is going well.

Thanks, Carissa. Good for you with the lightbulbs!

Welcome, CQ! Thank you for the positive additions. You have some points there.